Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Norwegian Mountain Loaf

Nigella describes this bread best "nubbly Northern European breads which are dense and virtuously substantial". By the looks and tastes of it, this heavy loaf is truly packed with goodness and full of flavour. The kind of loaf you'd bring if you go camping in the mountains. I had one loaf (made 5 small loaves from this recipe) for lunch with a dipping bowl of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Perfect combo. Be forewarned that the dough is awfully sticky. I replaced the porridge oats with rolled oats, wheat germ with pumpkin seeds, linseeds with sesame seeds and added kibbled rye as well. With these replacements, I drenched the grains in a little water and let them sit for 30 minutes before I started. Oh yes, I also added a tablespoon of molasses to overide the 'husky' smell you usually get from multigrain loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment