Monday, June 27, 2011

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

Another Sunday evening, poring over recipes in How To Be A Domestic Goddess for next morning's breakfast...we haven't had cake for breakfast for some time now so it came down to either the Banana Bread or the Sour Cream Chocolate Cake with Sour Cream Icing. Obviously the chocolate cake won hands down. (This is the second time the Banana Bread didn't make it to the kitchen! I wonder why??? ;-p). It wasn't a difficult recipe but Nigella used an unconventional method which worried me for a bit. All the dry ingredients were put into the mixer first, followed by the soft butter on it. THEN cream. Funny isn't it? Nonetheless, I started the mixer on slow to bind everything together before increasing the speed for creaming. No mess. The liquid ingredients were hand-whisked in my large Pyrex jug before they were poured into the mixing bowl to combine. The recipe didn't state how long or till what stage the mixture should look like, so I did a gu-esstimate. As usual, I didn't have enough sour cream to make the icing... well, that's the official line to my icing-loving daughter. The batter was good for an 8" round pan and this morning, we had yummy chocolate cake with milk for breakfast. As with any Sour Cream Chocolate Cake, the texture is always softer and moist albeit a tad crumbly.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    i was searching the web for a toffee recipe and landed on your site. Great blog and i love the pictures you take.
    I thinks its awesome that you are baking from Nigella's HTBADG book. I have the same but have only tried one or two recipes.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the word of encouragement! Hope you found your toffee recipe...sauce or candy?

    ReplyDelete