Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Apple And Walnut Cupcakes


Had a request in March for a child's party cakes and the little boy's mum said that he loves fruits and nuts in his cakes. Now, that's a rarity for a boy of 3. Fruits AND nuts? I mean, that combo is usually preferred by senior citizens! Nonetheless, the party had more adults than children anyway so this cake was right. I tried out this new recipe from Hummingbird Bakery's Cake Days a couple of days earlier and unlike most cakes with apples, this version doesn't require pre-cooking the apples. A relief actually, because for cupcakes, I didn't think adding a process of stewing apples will encourage anyone to start baking it. So, I chopped the green apples into 1cm cubes and stirred them into the batter with the chopped walnuts. Standard baking time for cupcakes, no more and the result surprised me. I had expected a wet cake. Nothing like that at all. It was  spongy-fluffy, moist (not wet) and full of flavour. The apples in it weren't soggy either. It's a pleasant tea cake and I didn't need to whip up the cream cheese icing for them. It was fine as it is. When the time came, I baked these cupcakes again and covered in in fondant with the superhero designs the young lad wanted. Guests loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment