Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Doing a Houdini


Hadn't realised that it had been over 6 months since I last posted! Where did the year go? This year...oh, no! Last year, I truly was feeling more like Houdini than Deenie....chained to my fate. Unfortunately, I had no tricks up my sleeves nor keys to those locks to free me, at least for now. As most of you have read my laments early last year, the children's school routine has got the better of me. I've had to decline many novelty cake orders just to give me some breathing space in between school runs. Unfortunately, there wasn't any breathing space. To sum it up, besides running a tight ship, between July '13 till now there had been 2 patients to tend to from surgery, a new puppy in the house, teeth-gritting year-end examinations and finally, my body had enough of it. My body basically crashed and burn.

Being very much in tune with how my body functions, I didn't wait for the symptoms to get out of hand. Got the medical opinions, had tests and been put on meds. I got to hand it to my body though, she knew when was a good time to crash....when term holidays started. I had plans to catch up on everything I've been putting off throughout the year during the children's term break like baking, trying out new recipes, working on new Christmas themes, sewing, reading a book, catching up on extra French grammar drills and visiting mum-in-law in Penang. I was crippled. I was under strict orders from the MOTH to just chill and help myself recover. And I did for 3 weeks...;-p. I felt a whole lot better, meds were working and blood tests came back improved. Yay!

2 weeks to Christmas and since I wasn't planning to bake as much, I decided to get cracking on homemade gifts. Yes, I never learn...  So, in December on Friday the 13th, I got a few snap-lid jars and thought of doing some pre-mixes for my sisters-in-law. Into the sink they went for washing and I cut myself from an unknowing chipped rim of one of the jars. Went to the ER and got sewed up with 20 stitches. Clearly, someone up there decided that I was too stubborn for my own good and decided to disarm my right (working) hand! Doctor ordered for the wound to be kept dry for at least 2 weeks and the MOTH took it upon himself to follow-through with the doctor's orders. Had to delegate big time. Good thing the children weren't really "children" anymore and they got roped in by the *cough* Kaiser MOTH to do chores while he was at work.

It's been a month since. Stitches were long taken off (yay!) but internally, the cut still hurts. The good doctor decided that I should get off my meds this month to see if I can do without (double yay??!) and advised me to take it easy.....REALLY???  School just started, back to the grindstone and keeping my fingers crossed that my thyroid doesn't act up. Chinese New Year in 2 weeks time.....SIGH! *face palm*.

No comments:

Post a Comment