Monday, May 9, 2011

My Brown Bread

I had a free Monday (kids were home) and decided to do some muscle work. The book's recipe for the Essential White Loaf is very simple and the following My (Nigella's) Brown Bread is exactly the same except for replacing the white flour with a mix of rye, wholewheat and white. We're experiencing extreme hot weather now and I thought it'd be a great idea to make bread (temperature's good for rising bread). I usually use a machine to knead bread doughs due to the time factor but yesterday, I was in the mood for kneading. Trouble is, I underestimated the term "15-minute kneading" and it's effect on my arms in this heat! And because I chose to do the grain bread, there's a whole lot more strength required than kneading a white dough! Never again! I also opted the 2-hour warm rapid rise instead of the cold rise overnight in the fridge. The result - a very dense loaf with hard crust. I think it would have been better if it was left to rise overnight in the fridge to allow the gluten more time to work. Plus, the bread was awfully salty! Maybe she meant 1 teaspoon of salt instead of 1 tablespoon??

No comments:

Post a Comment